Monday, June 28, 2010

A Year Off (and On)

One of the nice things about the military moving us every three or so years, is the opportunity to essentially "wipe the slate clean" when it comes to activities and obligations and re-evaluate what we want to invest our time and energy in. One year ago today we arrived in Athens, OH and I have been reflecting on those activities that have fallen by the wayside and those that continue to be a part of our lives.

This move was a big transition in that Nathan left for college shortly after we arrived and Jeremy had made the decision to go to public high school. I had decided to give myself 6 months to listen to God and see what he would have me do. (I could get a part time job, go back to school tuition free, or continue to be a stay at home wife/mom and volunteer) At the 6 month point I still didn't have clear answers only that I still needed to wait--not my favorite thing to do!

Now at the one year point I've gotten some answers, but not a clear picture. I hope that by looking at what activities have fallen by the wayside, and what have continued, will help me hear God's plans for the next two years...

So here's what's gone off the plate:

Scrapbooking and Quilting: I was suprised by this. I have had no motivation to do either. I thought with all the free time I would have after unpacking that it would be the perfect opportunity to catch up on both. I had purchased a few quilt tops to make and have LOTS of scrapbook pages to do. I have done none of it. In November I quit selling Creative Memories after doing so for 11 years. However, after a year off, I have joined a group of women who make quilt blocks every month. We'll see what happens with the scrapbooking...

Travel to visit National Parks and Monuments and to explore the area: A disappointment, but this was forshadowed by out time in MT. The boys aren't as interested as they were when they were younger. Nathan's not here. Alex's job consumes many hours of the week. He's either busy with work or just wants to be at home on the weekends.

Looking for a Part-time Job: The economy here is not good. There are a lot of people who NEED a job. I don't. I feel blessed that Alex can provide for us in such a way that my working is not necessary.

Here's what's stayed:

Church involvement: Always a given in our family. I've been in 2 small groups and help and/or participated in various activities. I also help get Jeremy to and from Youth Group activities.

Volunteering: It's different every place we live. Helping out at the food pantry is the ONLY thing I knew I should be doing at the 6 month point. I'm also shelving books at the library and just finished helping with VBS.

Boy Scouts: Okay...so I don't do alot with scouts, but the guys' participation does affect me. I've helped with the football stadium clean up, been the back up driver and made a few trips to the scout store in Parkersburg.

And here's something new:

Marching Band: Jeremy decided this spring that he wanted to participate in Band. He's learning to play the tuba and sousaphone. The band has a parent booster club so the next two years will be filled with band events.

Still nagging in the back of my mind: Should I go back to school?

No comments:

Post a Comment